Some of the best inspiration comes from quotes from inspiring people. Many military quotes can inspire you at many times and places in life. These 10 inspirational military quotes will give you a boost of energy and determination. You might even consider putting one up on your wall as a daily reminder to achieve your goals and aspirations.
1. “I don’t measure a man’s success by how high he climbs but by how high he bounces when he hits bottom.” – General George S. Patton
This quote given by General George S. Patton isn’t literally talking about how high a person can bounce. It’s a commentary on the measure of a person’s determination to try again after failure.
2. “A man has integrity if his interest in the good of the service is at all times greater than his personal pride, and when he holds himself to the same line of duty when unobserved as he would follow if his superiors were present.” – General S.L.A. Marshall
Marshall was a chief U.S. Army combat historian during WWII and the Korean War. A man who had written dozens of books on war and made studying soldiers his life’s work knew a lot about military leadership and the virtues that create a good soldier and leader.
3. “When things go wrong in your command, start wading for the reason in increasing larger concentric circles around your own desk.” – General Bruce D. Clark
General Bruce D. Clark got down to the heart of responsibility really quickly in this quote. Humility and taking responsibility for your own actions go hand-in-hand when problem solving.
4. “There’s no quitting. I can’t have quit in me. There was never an option to stop and quit.” – Major Lisa Jaster
As the first woman to graduate from U.S. Army Ranger school, Major Lisa Jaster knows what it means to persevere. She endured 6 months of grueling 20-hours-a-day training while firmly believing that quitting is never an option.
5. “Live for something rather than die for nothing.” General George S. Patton
This is just one of many quotes from General George S. Patton. He served in the U.S. Army as a senior officer and led a huge military role during WWII. This quote tells of his high level of commitment to his country and his own personal standards.
6. “A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
This quote was given in President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s first inaugural address. He spoke of making required sacrifices in order to uphold the values of the nation and maintain strength.
7. “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.” Norman Schwarzkopf
Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. was the Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Central Command and an Army General. This quote is sometimes also attributed to Robert H. Schuller, but either way, it gives us great insight into doing the right thing.
8. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” Theodore Roosevelt
The 26th president of the United States here gives us a great quote about the power of positivity in achieving any goal.
9. “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” – Colin Powell
Colin Powell served in the U.S. Army as a 4-star general, and he is also a statesman. This quote tells us the hard truth that success comes through work, not luck. There is no “easy way” to rise to the top.
10. “To be somebody or to do something. In life there is often a roll call. That’s when you will have to make a decision. To be or to do? Which way will you go?” – John Boyd
John Boyd was a Pentagon consultant, U.S. Air Force fighter pilot, and military strategist. Like with any quote, you can interpret this one many ways, but Boyd is essentially getting at the question of action versus reaction. Will you be the main character in your life or just an extra?
Achieving Your Goals
At Low VA Rates, we honor the troops of the military and the great military leaders who have shaped our future and given us inspiring quotes to live by. To see more great military quotes, check out other articles on our site.