Georgia Military Bases
Military Bases in Georgia include MCLB Albany, Camp Frank D. Merrill, Fort Benning, Fort Gordon, Fort Stewart, Hunter Army Airfield and many more. The great state of Georgia is known for its southern hospitality and Georgia peaches. Georgia has a population of over 10 million people and growing. The state is a southeastern state that plays an important role in our nations security. Georgia surrounding states include Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina.
Map of Military Bases in Georgia
The Marine Corps Logistics Base was established in 1952. It was originally a depot, but became a logistics base later in the 1950s. Albany was a perfect place for the logistics center because it could be accessed by road, rail, and water.
Today, the MCLB Albany is known for its Logistics Command Maintenance Center since it is one of only two logistic centers in the united states and is the only one on the east coast. The main mission of the MCLB Albany is to develop, research, rebuild, and provide combat equipment to bases all over the east coast of the United States.
Camp Frank D. Merrill
It is unknown exactly when Camp Frank D. Merrill, an army base named in honor of World War II officer Frank Dow Merrill, was established. Although this base is considered one of the less important military bases, it is used to train soldiers in various environments before being sent to missions all over the world.
Fort Benning is an Army Base that was established in 1918 as a basic training camp for troops in World War I. The base was named after Brigadier General Henry L. Benning, a Civil War officer who lived in Columbus, Georgia, which is where the base is located. The base was built on an old plantation, and the varied terrain of the land was perfect for different trainings. In 1984, the School of the Americas was moved to Fort Benning, and soldiers from Latin America are sent there for training. In 2001, the school was renamed the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation and is still active today.
Fort Gordon was built in 1917 and named in honor of John Brown Gordon, a businessman who fought in the Civil War for the Confederate Army. The fort was established at the same time that many other forts and camps were being built, and as a result, Fort Gordon was considered a less important base. During World War II, Fort Gordon was used as a prisoner-of-war camp, and in 1970, the fort became a basic training camp.
Although the base was abandoned during the Vietnam War, the fort is now active and successful. It is home to 40 units, and though they are units of all branches of the military, the primary presence on the base is the U.S. Army.
Fort Stewart is an Army fort that was established during World War II. The Fort was named after General Daniel Stewart, and the base was originally used for a shooting practice and live-fire training. During the war, the Women Airforce Service Pilots moved to Fort Stewart and began their live-fire exercises there. It was also the home of a Cooks and Bakers School and a prisoner-of-war camp.
Today, Fort Stewart is partnered with the Hunter Army Airfield, and as one of the largest bases in the United States (280,000 acres), it offers top-notch military training to Army soldiers.
Hunter Army Airfield
The Hunter Army Airfield is an army base that is a subordinate base to Fort Stewart. The base was opened in 1929, and in 1940, the airfield was named after Frank O’Driscoll Hunter, a soldier who fought in World War I. The first permanent unit stationed at Hunter Army Airfield was the 27th Bombardment Group, and they left the airfield empty when they were deployed to the Philippines. During World War II, the planes and soldiers on the base were in charge of patrolling the east coast of the United States and stopping German submarines and ships.
During the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the base was highly populated and intensely used, but after the Vietnam War, it was deactivated. It was reactivated two years later in 1975, and today it is active and works with Fort Stewart to offer some of the best training for the Army.
Moody Air Force Base
The Moody Air Force Base was built in 1940 in preparation for World War II, and it was a key base for training some of the most talented pilots who served in the war. The base was named after George Putnam Moody, an Air Force pilot who was killed in a test flight of the AT 10, which went on to be a widely used plane in World War II.
In 2005, the base was restructured, and today, Moody Air Force Base is a key base for humanitarian efforts, search-and-rescue missions, and air support operations.
Robins Air Force Base
The Robins Air Force Base was named in honor of Augustine Warner Robins, the man who is considered the father of Air Force logistics techniques. The base was established in 1941, and the Robins Air Force Base was used for intense training’s after the attacks on Pearl Harbor. The base continued to be an important training site during all conflicts, from the Korean War to the Afghanistan and Iraq invasions. Today, Robins Air Force Base is the home of the Air Logistics Center, and they are responsible for maintaining many of the planes used by the Air Force soldiers.
General Lucius D. Clay National Guard Center
The General Lucius D. Clay National Guard Center was known as the NAS Atlanta until recently. The NAS Atlanta was built in 1955, though the base wasn’t completed until 1959. In 1987 and 1993, the NAS Atlanta was awarded the Edwin F. Conway Trophy, an award given to the most efficient Naval Air Stations. The NAS Atlanta is known for its Navy Lake Site, which is a unique recreational center on the base.
NAS Atlanta was deactivated in 2009. The Department of Defense took over operations after that and renamed it the General D. Clay National Guard Center. Its primary mission is to offer training for Marine Corps and Navy Reservists.
NSB Kings Bay
The Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay was built in 1955 and completed in 1958. It was originally an Army base. The Army wanted a port where they could ship ammunition in case of a national emergency. The base was inactivated in 1959 and was used as a refugee camp during Hurricane Dora. In 1979, the base was reopened as a Naval base, and the first submarines arrived at the NSB Kings Bay. Today, it is still a thriving base and is home to both guided and ballistic missiles.
Dobbins Air Reserve Base
The Dobbins Air Reserve Base was built in 1941, and was originally named the Rickenbacker Field after a World War I pilot named Captain Eddie Rickenbacker. In 1942, the airfield was renamed the Marietta Army Airfield. In 1948, the base was named Marietta Air Force Base and became the Dobbins Air Force Base in 1950. It was named after Captain Charles M. Dobbins, a World War II pilot. In 1992, the name of the base was changed one more time to the Dobbins Air Reserve Base. Throughout its history, the Dobbins Air Reserve Base has been the home of numerous aircrafts used by the Air Force and the Navy, and training centers for the pilots who fly them.
Coast Guard Stations in Georgia
There are two Coast Guard Stations in Georgia: Station Brunswick and Station Tybee Island. It is unknown when they were opened, but both stations are still active today, and they are part of the Seventh Coast Guard District.