New Hampshire Military Bases
Map of Military Bases in New Hampshire
There are no military bases in New Hampshire, but even though there are no currently active Coast Guard stations, there are four inactive stations that were all part of the 1st life-saving station district, and all have a history of protecting the eastern coast of the United States.
Coast Guard Station Hampton Beach opened in 1898 and closed in 1969. Like the other stations in New Hampshire, this CG station started operation over 100 years ago. It was located on Hampton Beach and was also known as “Great Boars Head.” The first keeper of the station was Benjamin F. Smart.
Station Isle of Shoals was located on Appledore Island and opened in 1910. It closed in 1954 due to a major decline in activity. In 1920, the station built a launchway and a new well was driven just a year later. The responsibility of being keeper of the site switched hands several times between when Joseph J. Staples first took command of it to the station’s closing with Jonas T. Hagglove.
Station Rye Beach was one of two stations in Rye, New Hampshire. It was the oldest station in the state, having been built in 1874. It was also known as “Locke’s Point.” Over the course of its 59-year life, this 15th station saw only three keepers: Rufus Philbrick, George Caswell, and Albert Remick.
Station Wallis Sands was the other station located in Rye, but it was located on the south entrance to Portsmouth Harbor just over a mile south of Odiornes Point rather than on the north end of the beach. It opened about 16 years after Station Rye Beach. It was served by four keepers: Selden F. Wells, Walter H. Godfrey (who also served at the Rye Beach station for a time), J. H. Carver, Jr., and H. A. Schwartz.