Military Bases in South Carolina include Fort Jackson, Joint Base Charleston Air Force, Shaw Air Force Base, MCAS Beaufort, and MCRD Parris Island. South Carolina has a population of 4.9 million people is located in south eastern part of the United States. South Carolina is home to 60 miles of beach front property and Myrtle beach, a very popular vacation spot for many.
Map of Military Bases in South Carolina
Notable Military Bases in South Carolina
Fort Jackson is an Army Basic Training base located in Columbia, South Carolina. Named after the seventh President of the United States, Andrew Jackson, Fort Jackson was established in 1917. The fort was closed and abandoned in 1921, reopened for World War II, inactivated again after the war was over, and reactivated one last time at the onset of the Korean War. Fort Jackson has been alive and well ever since.
Today, 50 percent of recruits joining the Army attend basic training at Fort Jackson. Every year, 36,000 soldiers are trained on the 52,000-acre base, making Fort Jackson the largest Basic Training Camp used by the Army. Even though Fort Jackson has relatively few objectives and does not have the most advanced equipment, it is still a vital base for training new recruits. The base is also home of the Army’s Credibility Assessment Center, Soldier Support Institute, and the Center for Army Chaplaincy.
Joint Base Charleston Air Force North
In 2010, the Charleston Air Force Base and Naval Support Activity Charleston combined to form the Joint Base Charleston Air Force North. The base is operated by the U.S. Air Force, and is located in North Charleston. The site for the Charleston Air Force Base was built in 1928. Soon after the original establishment began, the Air Force purchased another 500 acres and built an airport. The airport was used for civilian flights and continued to operate after the Pearl Harbor attacks. During World War II, the base was used to train pilots before sending them overseas. The airport is still used by the Air Force and civilians and is currently home to the 628th Air Base Wing.
Shaw Air Force Base
Shaw Air Force Base was established in 1941 and is one of the largest bases in the United States. It is operated by Air Combat Command and is located near Sumter, South Carolina. The base is named after Ervin David Shaw, who was one of the first Americans to fly during an official mission in World War I. During World War II, the primary mission of Shaw Air Force Base was to train enlisted cadets and pilots, and the base was used to house German prisoners-of-war. Today, Shaw Air Force Base is a key base in supporting Iraq and Afghanistan invasions.
The Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort was built in 1943 and was built in an attempt to support allied forces during World War II. The primary mission of MCAS Beaufort was to offer sophisticated training for anti-submarine troops. After the war, the base was shut down in 1946 but reopened a decade later in 1956.
Today, the MCAS Beaufort is home to the Merritt Airfield, which was named after Lewie G. Merritt, one of the only Marines to serve in both World War I and World War II. The MCAS Beaufort hosts two air shows annually, and is home to the 273th Wing Support Squadron, the 23rd Combat Logistics Company, the 31st Aircraft group, and the 86th strike fighter squadron.
MCRD Parris Island
Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, located near Port Royal, South Carolina, was established in 1861. Originally a Navy Base, the Marine Corps started using the base in 1891. By 1915, the Navy gave complete control of the base to the Marine Corps. Today, MCRD Parris Island is the main recruit depot for the Marine Corps, and its primary mission is to train new recruits. Most male recruits complete their basic training at the MCRD in San Diego, California, while most female recruits are sent to Parris Island for basic training.
Coast Guard Stations
There is one active and one inactive Coast Guard Station in South Carolina. The active Coast Guard Station is called Coast Guard Station Georgetown. Station Georgetown originally started on a floating barge but was moved to a land station in 1989. Located just over 30 miles south of Myrtle Beach, the Coast Guard Station offers safe boating classes for the public.