Nevada Military Bases
Map of Nevada Military Bases
Hawthorne Army Ammunition Depot
The Hawthorne Army Ammunition Depot was originally a naval depot that was established in 1930 after the Lake Denmark Naval Ammunition Depot in New Jersey was destroyed in an explosion in 1926. During World War II, while still under Navy control, the depot was used as the primary staging area for ammunition, bombs, and rockets for all branches of the military.
In 1977, the depot was transferred to the army, and was used as a location to destroy unused artillery shells and chemicals. The government proposed the Hawthorne Army Ammunition Depot be decommissioned in 2005, but due to the training opportunities provided at the depot, the proposal was rescinded.
Nellis Air Force Base
The Nellis Air Force Base started out in 1925 as a little base run by the Western Air Express. When they leased to the Army, it consisted of a dirt runway, a well, and a small shack. It was used for training flights and was simply called the Airfield. In the 1930s, the Airfield was renamed the McCarran Field, but the name was changed again to the Las Vegas Army Airfield in the 1940s. In 1948, the Air Force took over the airfield and named it the Las Vegas Air Force Base.
Finally in 1950, the base was named the Nellis Air Force Base in honor of Lieutenant William Harrell Nellis. The base is currently home to the Air Force Fighter Weapons School, the Tactical Air Command and the Tactical Fighter Weapons Center.
The Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon was built in 1942 to help protect the west coast from Japanese invasions during World War II. Due to Nevada’s diverse weather, the NAS Fallon was used for hot weather training in the summer and cold weather training in the winter during the 1970s.