Oregon Military Bases
Military Bases in Oregon include camp Rilea, Umatilla Chemical Depot, and 8 Coast Guard stations. The state of Oregon has a population of just over 4 million people. The state of Oregon is located in the northwest corner of the United States.
Map of Military Bases in Oregon
Camp Rilea was created in 1927 and is controlled by the National Guard. When the camp first opened, it was called Camp Clatsop and was used as a training center in the summer. During World War II, while still being used by the National Guard, the federal government took ownership of the camp so that it could be used to train soldiers before sending them to combat in Europe. Following the war, in 1947, ownership of the camp was given back to the state.
In 1959, the camp was renamed to Camp Rilea in honor of Major General Thomas E. Rilea, who was the Adjutant General of Oregon. The base is still used by all branches of the military for training purposes.
Umatilla Chemical Depot
The Umatilla Chemical Depot is an Army base that was established in 1941. The depot was built specifically for use during World War II and was used as a storage base for general supplies and ammunition. In 1962, the base became one of only nine bases in the United States with the unique job of storing chemical weapons.
In 2011, all of the stockpile at Umatilla Chemical Depot, which made up 12 percent of the stockpile in the United States, was destroyed. A chemical weapon destruction facility was commissioned and completed in 2001, but the Army didn’t start disposing of the weapons until 2004. It took 7 years to destroy all of the weapons stored at the Umatilla Chemical Depot, and following the successful destruction of all the weapons, it was proposed that the depot should prepare for decommission and would be closed completely by 2015.
Coast Guard Stations in Oregon
Oregon is home to eight active Coast Guard Stations. One of the active stations is called Tillamook Bay, and it is not only a Coast Guard Station, but also a national historic site. Tillamook Bay opened in 1908, and the base has been awarded two Coast Guard Medals for its vital part in two dangerous rescue missions.