North Dakota Military Bases
North Dakota military bases support the northern part of the United States. These bases include Camp Grafton, Grand Forks Air Force Base, and the Minot Air Force Base. North Dakota has a population of a little over 750K. North Dakota is bordered by Canada, Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana.
Map of Military Bases in North Dakota
Camp Grafton is an Army National Guard North Dakota military base in Devils Lake. It was founded in 1904 for use as an Army National Guard training site. When it first opened, it was called the Rock Island Military Reservation. In 1921, it was renamed Camp Grafton in honor of Lieutenant Colonel Gilbert C. Grafton.
Camp Grafton has a sister site, called Camp Grafton South, in Eddy County that was established in 1983. Camp Grafton South is the home to the Major General C. Emerson Murry Regional Live Fire and Maneuver Training Center. Camp Grafton South has also partnered with North Dakota State University to head up projects to help preserve the environment.
Grand Forks Air Force Base
Grand Forks Air Force Base is an Air Force base in Emerado, North Dakota. The base was opened in 1957. During the Cold War, Grand Forks Air Force Base was home to the Strategic Air Command, B-52 bombers, KC-135 tankers, and Minuteman Intercontinental ballistic missiles.
In 1993, Air Force Space Command took control of the base, and in 1995, the base was downsized. One missile wing was decommissioned, and the Minuteman missiles were moved from the Grand Forks Air Force Base to the Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana. Today, the Grand Forks Air Force Base is home to the Air Mobility Command’s Expeditionary Center.
Minot Air Force Base
Minot Air Force Base is located in Ward County, North Dakota. The base was established in 1957 and named after a nearby city, Minot, North Dakota. In the beginning, a unit of the Strategic Air Command was assigned to the Minot Air Force Base to be used as an air refueling support unit.
Today, the Minot Air Force Base is the home of the Air Combat Command, which was established in 1992. The base is also home to three public schools, two elementary schools, and a middle school.