Kentucky Military Bases
Kentucky is known as the blue grass state and is home to the Kentucky Army National Guard and important defense support unit to our nations defense. Kentucky also hosts one of the most secure military bases in our nation Fort Knox. Below are more military bases in Kentucky and their locations.
Map Of Kentucky Military Bases
Blue Grass Army Depot
The Blue Grass Army Depot, originally called the Blue Grass Ordnance Depot, was established in 1941. During World War II, the depot was used as a storage depot for ammunition and other supplies. During the Cold War, the Blue Grass Ordnance Depot was combined with the Lexington Signal Depot, and it was renamed the Lexington-Blue Grass Army Depot. When the facility in Lexington was closed in 1999, the depot was renamed once again, and has been the Blue Grass Army Depot ever since.
The depot is still used for storage, but it is also used as a training camp for Army soldiers. In addition to storage of general supplies and ammunition, and training purposes, the Blue Grass Army Depot stores about 2 percent of the United States’ chemical surplus. They are currently building a chemical destruction facility set to be complete by 2018.
The beginning fortifications of Fort Knox were built in 1861 and were used as a partner camp for Fort Duffield, a fort known for its strategic location. The little fortification expanded in 1918 and became Fort Knox, named after Henry Knox, the Chief of Artillery for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and the first United States Secretary of War.
During World War II, the airfield at Fort Knox was used for Army Air Forces training, and it’s still used by the United States Army Aviation Branch today. In 2009, the Army Human Resources Command Center was moved from Washington D.C. to Fort Knox. In order to accommodate the Army HRC, Fort Knox undertook the largest construction project in its history to build a three-story complex with six interconnected buildings to house the HRC.
Fort Campbell, established in 1941, was originally meant to be a temporary training camp. In 1950, the fort became a permanent Army base and continued to be used to train parachuting soldiers. In 1966, Fort Campbell became the location of a new Basic Combat Training Center.
Today, Fort Campbell is home to the Sabalauski Air Assault School and the full-time parachute team called the “Screaming Eagles.”